MESS requires a cart dump (in one of the following formats: .gb, .gmb, .cgb, .gbc, .sgb, .bin) in the "cartridge" (cart) device to run supergb emulation. You can launch emulation using, at command line
mess supergb -cart "C:\pathtogame\gamename.gb"
Like most Super GB emulators around, MESS does not use SNES emulation combined with GB emulation. It is on the TO DO List, though, and it will be properly emulated eventually.
History and Trivia
The Super Game Boy is an adapter for the SNES that let you play Game Boy games on your television screen, using the SNES
controllers and deck as an interface. It also had some extended features like backgrounds around the game and primitive color, although not all games take advantage of this. It possible for Super Game Boy games to make use of the SNES sound hardware for extra effects. Try compairing Asteroids/Missile Commmand, Space Invaders or Donkey Kong to see some excellent use of the of enhancements.
There also was a Super Game Boy 2 released in 199?. It has the same features of the original Super Game Boy but adds a green game link LED, a red power LED and a Game link port.
* FAQs -- http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/snes/peripherals/sgbfaq.txt
* bsnes -- http://byuu.org/ (the only emulator combining SNES + GB emulation for the SGB; it relies on Gambatte for the Game Boy side of the emulation)
* no$gmb -- http://nocash.emubase.de/gmb.htm
* BGB -- http://bgb.bircd.org/
* KiGB -- http://kigb.emuunlim.com/
* GEST -- http://koti.mbnet.fi/gest_emu/