Neo Geo Pocket has been the first portable console created by SNK. Its limited success, in a market dominated by Nintendo Game Boy, forced SNK to release very soon its successor, the Neo Geo Pocket Color.
* CPU: Toshiba TLCS-900H at 6.144 MHz
* Co-Processor: Z80 at 3.072 MHz for sound.
* RAM: 12 KB main, 4 KB sound.
* ROM: 64KB.
* Video Modes: 160 x 152.
* Colors: 8 shades of grey.
* Sound: 6 channel PSG, stereo output.
* I/O Ports: SIO 1 channel, Cartridge slot.
After you have started emulation, you have to press the Q
key, to power up the system.
History and Trivia
The Neo Geo Pocket was released in 1998 in Japan. Launched in a market dominated by Game Boy and damaged by Nintendo's announcement of the Game Boy Color, the console did not manage to obtain the expected success.
Hence, SNK decided to discontinue it pretty soon, already in 1999, to release its successor: the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Due to it's short lifespan the original Neo Geo Pocket was only released in Japan and Hong Kong, but not outside Asia.
Despite the short life of the system, there were some significant games released on the system such as "Samurai Shodown" and "King of Fighters R-1". Also, the Neo Geo Pocket Color game library is mostly backward compatible with the Neo Geo Pocket, with few notable exceptions such as "Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure" and "SNK vs. Capcom: Match Of The Millennium".
(info based on Wikipedia and old-computers.com)
* Neo Geo Pocket House -- http://ngphouse.com/
* Neo Geo Pocket Power -- http://www.neogeo.org.uk/
* Neo Geo Pocket Central -- http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/ngpcentral/index.html
* Neo Geo Pocket at UCD -- http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/portables/neo_geo_pocket.htm
* Neo Geo Pocket at old-computers.com -- http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=1264
* Wikipedia page -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_Geo_Pocket
* NeoPocott -- http://neopocott.emuunlim.com/
* Neo Pop (no link)
* Mednafen -- http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/
* Xe -- http://www.xe-emulator.com/