| ||Available images: |
Romset name: outr2.zip |
Production year: 2003
Game genre: Driving
Category: Driving / Race (chase view)
This game needs a BIOS file:
• Chihiro Bios (chihiro.zip)
This game is NOT working in MAME
Emulation status: Preliminary
Color emulation: Good
Sound emulation: Preliminary
Graphics emulation: Good
Save states: Supported
In MAME since version: .138u3
The MAME driver of this game is: chihiro.c - Read the code
Number of players: 1P |
This game uses a single screen:
Graphic type: Raster
Screen orientation: Horizontal
Game resolution 640 x 480 @ 60.000000 Hz
The PCB of this game uses 1 CHIP
This game has 1 BIOS options
The ROMset of this game is composed by 7 ROMs (1 of the game set, 6 of the BIOS set)
Referred to MAME version: 0.160
: PARENT Game
: CLONE Game
This game uses CHD
Out Run 2 (c) 2003 Sega.
Spectacular sequel to the original Out Run from 1986 with modern graphics and additional gameplay modes.
- TECHNICAL -
Sega Chihiro hardware.
System : X-Box based configuration.
CPU : Intel Pentium III 733MHz (133MHz FSB)
Graphics : nVidia XChip 200MHz (based on the nVidia GeForce 3)
Sound Hardware :
1. Cirrus Logic CS4630 Stream Processor (20-bit DAC, programmable to handle 3D sound streams, 2D sound (including DLS-compatible MIDI), MP3 acceleration, Sensaura environmental effects, and other functions)
2. Other sounds may be generated by the CPU via software engines.
3. nVidia nForce (Real time Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding)
RAM : Upgradable Module, from 64MB upwards (Outrun 2 has 512MB)
Media : Sega GD-Rom
Polygons : 125M Polys/sec (Theoretical Maximum)
Rendering Speed : 4.0 G pixel/sec
Features : Programmable vertex and pixel shading, hardware Transform & Lighting engine, Quincunx FSAA, Anisotropic filtering, bump mapping, hardware lighting, particle effects, other standard 3D features).
Players : 1
Control : Steering wheel
Pedals : 2 (Accelerator and break)
- TRIVIA -
Released in December 2003.
AM2 Mix released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Out Run 2 Sound Tracks - AMMX-2003) on 21/01/2004.
- TIPS AND TRICKS -
* Change Car Color (Single Player Only) : To change the color of your car, hold down the brake while shifting gears (either direction changes color once) in the car selection screen.
* Force Quit : During the race, stop the car completely and hold down the brake, view change and gear up. The game will bring up a yes and no question. Choose yes and the game end. You can only do this once in each game. If you choose no and resume game, you cannot force quit anymore until the game is over.
Note : The force quit won't work if you have less than 8 seconds on the remaining time. This trick was tested on a single player mode.
* No Handicap Mode (VS mode only) : This code can be entered in the Car Selection or Song Selection screens. All players must step on the Brake pedal and Shift up at the same time. The best way to make this work is just to get all players to hold the brake pedal and shift up and down constantly until a No Handicap box appears at the right.
Note : Shift up is gear up and it means to move the shift knob down. This trick also can be entered after real players mode is activate or vice versa.
* Real Players Only (VS mode only) : This code can be entered in the Car Selection or Song Selection screens. All players must hit the View Change button and Shift Down at the same time. The best way to make this work is just to get all players to tap the view change button and shift up and down constantly until a real players only box appears at the right.
- SERIES -
1. Out Run (1986)
2. Out Run 3-D (1989, Sega Master System)
3. Battle Out Run (1989, Sega Master System)
4. Turbo Out Run (1989)
5. Out Run Europa (1991, Sega Game Gear)
6. Out Runners (1992)
7. Out Run 2019 (1993, Sega Mega Drive)
8. Out Run 2 (2003)
9. Out Run 2 SP - Special Tours (2004)
- STAFF -
Designed by : Hiroshi Masui
Produced by : Yu Suzuki (YU.)
- PORTS -
* Consoles :
Microsoft XBOX [V3N 00001] [Limited Edition] (Jan 2005)
Microsoft XBOX [V3N 00002] (Jan 2005)
- SOURCES -
18 Wheeler (deluxe) (Rev A)
Battle Gear 2 (v2.04J)
Big Run (11th Rallye version)
California Speed (Version 2.1a, 4/17/98)
Cruis'n Exotica (version 2.4)
Cruis'n USA (rev L4.1)
Cruis'n World (rev L2.5)
Dangerous Curves (Ver 2.2 J)
Dirt Dash (Rev. DT2)
Faster Than Speed
GTI Club (ver EAA)
GTI Club 2 (ver JAB)
Hard Drivin' (cockpit, rev 7)
Hard Drivin's Airborne (prototype)
Initial D Arcade Stage Ver. 3 Cycraft Edition (Rev. B) (GDS-0039B)
Initial D Arcade Stage (Rev B) (Japan) (GDS-0020B)
Initial D Arcade Stage (Export) (Rev A) (GDS-0025A)
Initial D Arcade Stage Ver. 2 (Japan) (Rev. B) (GDS-0026B)
Initial D Arcade Stage Ver. 3 (Export) (GDS-0033)
Initial D Arcade Stage Ver. 3 (Japan) (Rev. C) (GDS-0032C)
Initial D4 (Rev D)
The King of Route 66 (Rev A)
Midnight Run: Road Fighters 2 (EAA, Euro v1.11)
Out Run (Mega-Tech, SMS based)
Turbo Outrun (Mega-Tech)
Outrun 2 SP SDX
Out Run 2 Special Tours (Rev A) (GDX-0014A)
Out Run (sitdown/upright, Rev B)
Over Rev (Model 2C, Revision A)
Rad Racer II (PlayChoice-10)
Rad Racer (PlayChoice-10)
Pocket Racer (Japan, PKR1/VER.B)
Race Drivin' (cockpit, rev 5)
Race On! (RO2 Ver. A)
Racing Jam (JAC)
Racing Jam DX
Rad Mobile (World)
Rad Rally (World)
Rave Racer (Rev. RV2, World)
Ridge Racer 2 (Rev. RRS2, World)
Ridge Racer (Rev. RR3, World)
Roads Edge / Round Trip (rev.B)
Ridge Racer V Arcade Battle (RRV3 Ver. A)
Scud Race Twin (Australia)
Sega Race-TV (Export)
San Francisco Rush 2049
San Francisco Rush
San Francisco Rush: The Rock
Side by Side (Ver 2.7 J)
Side by Side 2 (Ver 2.6 A)
Speed Up (Version 1.20)
Sega Rally 2
Sega Rally 2 DX
Sega Rally Championship - TWIN (Revision C)
Street Drivin' (prototype)
Thrill Drive 2 (ver EBB)
Thrill Drive (JAE)
Top Speed (World)
Turbo Out Run (Out Run upgrade, FD1094 317-0118)
Wangan Midnight (WMN1 Ver. A)
Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2 (Japan) (Rev A) (GDX-0015A)
Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune (Export) (Rev B) (GDX-0009B)
Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2 (Export) (GDX-0016)
Winding Heat (EAA, Euro v2.11)
Warning: information in history.dat can differ from the ones present in the rest of the page (taken from MAME) as they come from a different source
|Information on outr2
0.138u3 [Team Europe, The Dumping Union, Alex]
- 0.142u3: Changed description to 'Out Run 2 (Rev A) (GDX-0004A)'.
- 0.138u3: Team Europe, The Dumping Union and Alex added 'Out Run 2 (Rev. A) [GDX-0004A]' (Sega 2002).
- 2nd July 2010: Smitdogg - Team Europe dumped Out Run 2.
Information on chihiro.c (MAME driver)
0.131 [Alex's Rom Dumping Project]
- Chihiro is an Xbox based arcade motherboard from SEGA. A Chihiro system consists of network board, media board, base board & Xbox board. The whole system is divided into 2 parts and each part has two boards. The upper part contains a media board with a TSOP48 where there is an xbox .xbe loader (this is the dashboard you see when you power the Chihiro) and for a network board (100% the same as the one in the Triforce v3, same firmware also). The bottom section consists of an Xbox board with 128MB of RAM and with a different MCPX than a retail one and a base board that handles JVS and Video.
- 0.150: Chihiro update [Samuele Zannoli]: Added more patches needed until usb is implemented. Added support for more texture formats and drawing primitives to the 3d accelerator.
- 17th August 2013: R. Belmont - Samuele Zannoli has continued to plug away at the Xbox 1-based Chihiro hardware, with the result that OutRun 2 now boots and (very slowly) shows a few 2D screens. I don't think it does anything more, but I could just be impatient.
- 0.149u1: Derive Chihiro's baseboard IDE from IDE mass storage device (machine\idehd.c). Removed read_key() from ide_mass_storage_device as it's only used by ataflash and that was also reading the key in manually. Fixed issues that caused the HD to report that the diagnostics failed [smf]. Few updates to the i386 processor and chihiro driver [Samuele Zannoli]: Added lots of mmx and sse opcodes to the i386 processor. Added the fcomip x87 opcode. Don't take an smi until current instruction is complete in i386. Added a "UINT8 *memory(UINT32 &size)" method to the naomi_gdrom_board device that returns the size and a pointer to the decrypted gdrom data (used by chihiro). Then for the chihiro driver: Added basic stuff for the Nvidia audio APU. Added the "chihiro curthread" debugger command, shows information about the current active thread. Added the "chihiro irq,
- 0.149: Added harddisk device.
- 0.148u2: Implentation of NVIDIA register combiners in Chihiro driver [Samuele Zannoli]. Cleaned up a4r4g4b4 operation (color convert). Fixed driver compile [Angelo Salese]. Fixed GCC compile [R. Belmont]. Chihiro Sega documentation cleanups [f205v].
- 0.147u3: Hooked up IDE irq straight to the 8259 in Chihiro driver [smf].
- 0.147u2: Information adjustments for Chihiro and mame.lst reflecting latest discoveries [f205v].
- 0.146u5: First round of GD-ROM redumps [The Dumping Union].
- 0.146u3: Various changes to i386 CPU core and Chihiro emulation, allowing it to show a basic logo and text [Samuele Zannoli]. Fix compile on GCC 4.6 and above [Miodrag Milanovic]. Ville Linde corrected Chihiro CPU type to Pentium III.
- 0.146u2: Made PCI legacy and new implementation coexist for now (machine\pci.c) [Miodrag Milanovic].
- 0.146u1: Chihiro documentation update [f205v].
- 0.145u5: Marked all GD-ROMs as BAD_DUMP. These need to be re-converted to CHD from the .GDI source with current CHDMAN [R. Belmont].
- 0.144u7: Correct Chihiro GDROM prefix to make games boot again [R. Belmont].
- 0.144u2: Samuele Zannoli added a placeholder for ohci USB controller in Chihiro Plus relative hack to avoid an infinite loop. This allows Chihiro to try to initialize Direct3D and to use the Nvidia 3D accelerator.
- 0.143u9: f205v improved Chihiro game documentation.
- 0.143u5: Various changes and improvements to the Chihiro emulation [Samuele Zannoli]: Modifies the IDE device (idectrl.c) so it supports cases where it is not connected to an hard disk, but to some different hardware. Added PC devices 8259 PIC, 8253 PIT and IDE controller. Added "chihiro" command with subcommands "jamdis", "dump_string", "dump_process", "dump_list" and "help". Updates the smbus controller and adds stubs for the pic16lc, cx25871 and EEPROM smbus devices. Updates the memory map for the newly added devices. Fixed the size of the "others" region. Added hack for the missing dump of the smbus EEPROM.
- 0.143u1: Documentation cleanups/updates for Chihiro [f205v, R. Belmont].
- 0.139u3: Fabio Priuli fixed assert before OK in all sets in Chihiro.
- 0.139u2: Chihiro improvements [Samuele Zannoli]: Fixed the mapping of the BIOS at the top of the cpu addrsss space. Updated the ram size to 128 MB. Added some SMBus handling, to let the BIOS run. Added placeholders for a few devices on the PCI bus. Added the "jamdis StartAddress,Length" command to the debugger that lets you disassemble the "jam table" instructions used by the BIOS to do some basic hardware initialization. Updated the PCI bus device so that PCI buses can be arranged in a tree like in real hardware.
- 0.137u2: Minor memory map update for running the Chihiro BIOS [Samuele Zannoli].
- 0.135: Fabio Priuli fixed access violation before typing OK in Chihiro driver.
- 0.133u5: Added various notes + checksums for Chihiro board [Alex's Rom Dumping Project, Mr Mudkips, Philip Burke].
- 3rd September 2009: Alex's Rom Dumping Project - I have dumped 75 per cent of the chihiros board, and while dumping, i have managed to change the region from japan to export. The region is stored on a small EEPROM located in the media board (just before the serial number). Its pretty easy to change the region, just replace one byte, 01 for jap, 02 for usa, 03 for export, and i dont really know if more regions are there, cause i havent tried any other changes. Details about what i have dumped here can be found on the readme or my page.
- 0.131: Added chihiro.c driver.
|Printer friendly version
Direct link to this page